This is just a skeleton of the article. Please help fill it in!
NOTE: THIS PAGE CONTAINS MANY SPOILERS.
The game's timeline consists of 3 weeks, each of 7 days.
Each day usually (but not always) starts around the time Neku gets a mission from the Game Master and ends with Neku fulfilling the mission's objectives.
Following are the highlights of each day. (story events, opportunities to obtain missable items, side stories, etc.)
The Secret Reports for each day can be found here.
Unknown pre-Game: Joshua became the composer of the Reaper's Game, either because he was the original or because he erased the previous one. The circumstances behind his position are unknown.
Unknown pre-Game: The Producer, acting as the designer CAT, creates the Udagawa mural which contains the subliminal commands: "Enjoy the moment more", and "Gather". These are selected to result in Shibuya becoming a focus point for people with strong Imaginations.
Unknown pre-Game: Neku befriends a classmate, who later dies. He does not remember this in the game proper, but reveals this in Another Day. Neku is deeply affected by this, as evidenced by his anti-social attitude and complete rejection of friendship at the beginning of the Game.
9 days pre-Game: The Composer announces his plan to erase Shibuya to Megumi Kitaniji. Megumi offers to "fix" the people of Shibuya, and stakes his life on his ability to do so. Megumi's 30 day timer starts.
1 day pre-Game: The Composer enters the Realground to locate a mortal to use as a Proxy. He finds Neku at the Udagawa mural. Sho Minamimoto, on learning that the Composer is in the RG, attempts to murder him there, but his attempt fails and he flees. The Composer murders Neku to create a Proxy, steals his memories of the death, then retires from the Game. He also gives the Proxy a Player Pin, which adds up with the one the Reapers later give him.
Week 1 Edit
Day 1 Edit
- The Reapers' Game begins. The first round of notable players:
- Neku: Murdered by the Composer. Entry fee: His memories.
- Shiki: Died in an unknown accident. Entry fee: Her physical appearance.
- Beat: Died in a car accident attempting to save Rhyme. Entry fee: Rhyme's love and affection for him.
- Rhyme: Died in a car accident. Entry fee: Unknown; assumed to be her dreams/goals/purpose in life.
- The Producer, Sanae Hanekoma, descends from the Plane of the Angels to the UG to observe the running of a Game without an active Composer.
- Mission: "Reach 104."
- Joshua can be seen watching Neku arrive at the Statue of Hachiko.
- Neku first meets Shiki at Hachiko, and forms a pact with her.
- Neku obtains a Pyrokinesis pin.
- Beat forms a pact with his sister Rhyme. They also meet Uzuki Yashiro, who tries to trick them somehow, and presumably attacks them.
- Neku and Shiki are also met by a Harrier (Uzuki) for the first time at the same moment they complete the mission.
Day 2 Edit
- Mission: "Set the cursed sculpture free."
- Neku and Shiki meet Beat and Rhyme for the first time, outside Shibuya Station.
- Neku and Shiki meet Uzuki Yashiro for the first time in-person. She attempts to order Neku to erase Shiki, but is stopped by Hanekoma.
- Neku and Shiki meet Mr. Hanekoma for the first time. He gives them the Harmonizer Pin.
Day 3 Edit
- Mission: "Defeat the master of A-East."
- First ability to use Fusions.
- First of two missions to be completed by Players other than Neku and his partner (in this case, Beat and Rhyme).
- Six players are erased.
Day 4 Edit
- Mission: "Reach Towa Records."
- Thirteen players are erased, including Rhyme, who was erased saving Beat from a trap set by Uzuki and Kariya.
- Neku, Shiki, and Beat meet Kariya for the first time.
- Hanekoma binds Rhyme's Soul to a pin to ensure her and Beat's survival.
- Beat receives the Rhyme pin and makes a pact with it to stay alive, and goes into the care of Hanekoma at Wildkat.
Day 5 Edit
- Mission: "Free Spain Hill from the Noise."
- First appearance of Reaper Creeper.
- Neku and Shiki meet the Game Master for the first time.
- Higashizawa reveals the jealousy that Shiki has been hiding.
Day 6 Edit
- Mission: "Dominate the Scramble Crossing view at 3:00."
- Joshua contacts Hanekoma to make his initial request for upgrades to the mobile phones.
- Beat tries and fails to use the Rhyme pin to summon Rhyme's Noise form. Although Hanekoma imprinted him with the knowledge to do so, he lacks the power required to use it.
- The mission results in the Red Skull pins being popularized among the Shibuya RG. This is part of Kitaniji's plan, set by Higashizawa in acting as Kitaniji's proxy.
- The mission also gives Makoto Miki the confidence to change his career path in Week 2.
- Shiki runs into her friend Eri during the course of the mission, who mentions she misses Shiki and plans to give up on her intended career as a fashion designer because she feels inadequate without her. Neku encourages Shiki to forge her own identity, inadvertently setting up her triumph at the end of the game.
Day 7 Edit
- Mission: "Defeat the Game Master."
- Beat flees WildKat to ask Uzuki and Kariya how to summon Rhyme's Noise through her Pin.
- Higashizawa is erased by Neku and Shiki at the Shibuya Underpass.
- Beat chooses to join the Reapers, believing this is necessary in order to save Rhyme.
- Shiki is chosen for reincarnation. This is in fact a bluff by Kitaniji, as without the Composer, he is not actually able to bring her back to life. But rather than being brought back to life, is taken as Neku's subsequent entry fee.
Week 2 Edit
Day 1 Edit
- The Second run of the Reapers' Game begins. The notable Players:
- A notable Reaper is Beat, who changed his allegiance at the end of the last week in order to save Rhyme. As he was one of the surviving Players at the end of Week 1, his previous entry fee was returned.
- Mission: "X = 30 + 74". This translates as an instruction to reach 104 (30 + 74 = 104)
- Joshua - who is in fact the Composer - forges a Pact with Neku.
- Neku scans Joshua, coming into contact with a portion of Joshua's memories of Neku's death. This is possible, because as an irregular entry, Joshua does not possess a Player Pin.
- Hanekoma completes the tracking application for the mobile phones, and calls Joshua to let him know it is ready.
- Minamimoto breaks tradition and reveals himself to Joshua and Neku, and realizing Joshua's true identity he forms a habit of following them throughout the week.
Day 2 Edit
- Mission: "Acquire the √3 Au pin." This translates as an instruction to win a gold pin trophy at the Tin Pin Slammer competition.
- This is the second of two missions to be completed by Players other than Neku and his partner (in this case, Sota and Nao).
- Neku scans Joshua again, this time bringing up a memory of Neku's corpse at Udagawa. Neku begins to suspect Joshua of being his killer.
- Desperate to prevent the loss of Shibuya, Hanekoma tells Minamimoto the secrets of how to create Taboo Noise; Hanekoma thus becomes a Fallen Angel. Minamimoto was chosen, it appears, because of his conviction against the Composer and his reputation as a loose cannon; even bizarre behaviour would be considered normal for him. Minamimoto subsequently ceases setting missions, focusing on using Taboo Noise to assault the Composer.
- Makoto quits from his former job.
- Kitaniji orders Beat to attack Neku, the Composer's proxy, directly in an attempt to win the Game and save Shibuya.
Day 3 Edit
- Due to Minamimoto's distraction, no missions are set for the next few days. The focus of this day is rescuing Ramen Don from the competing Shadow Ramen.
- Joshua visits Hanekoma to collect the tracking application. While Joshua tells Neku that it tracks the Composer, it in fact tracks the Conductor's (ie, Kitaniji's) Imagination. This is done by Joshua in an effort to understand exactly how Kitaniji plans to change Shibuya for the better.
- Beat attacks Neku for the first time.
- B.J. calls Uzuki from the Phone Booth of Love (and gets blown off), Tenho hides 777's microphone, and Sho swaps 777's microphone with his megaphone.
- Makoto's boss pleads to Hanekoma about an unknown issue.
Day 4 Edit
- No mission today. Neku and Joshua spend the day helping the Support Reapers search for their band's microphone, which distracts them from their personal goal for the day (Neku calls it the "detour from hell").
- Beat attacks Neku for the second time, and drops Rhyme's Pendant.
- Sho completes his own Taboo Refinery Sigil, and is spotted by Neku, Joshua, Kariya, and Uzuki.
- Neku scans Joshua for the third time, bringing up more memories of his death. Neku concludes that Joshua is his killer.
Day 5 Edit
- No mission today. Kariya and Uzuki set up an involved series of Walls to block the Players on their way to Cat Street to meet Hanekoma. Kariya reveals that this is not to test Neku, but Joshua.
- A strong Taboo Noise is unleashed on the city travelling from area to area, attacking both Reapers and Players.
- The tracking application is modified. Although Joshua claims this is a revision, in fact, the tracker has been specifically rewritten to detect the Shibuya River.
- Beat attacks Neku for the third time; in the process, Neku gives Beat Rhyme's pendant back.
- The tracker and Joshua lead Neku to the Station Underpass and the entry to the Shibuya River.
- Joshua is forced to use the power of the Composer to erase the Taboo Noise at the Underpass. Kariya detects this, but as a non-Officer Reaper has never met the Composer (he only deals directly with the other Reapers). He therefore assumes that Joshua is playing the Game illegally as a living person.
Day 6 Edit
- Mission: "Beat the bosses of 2.2360679's 0+5." This translates to defeating Noise at the Scramble Crossing and Udagawa (2.2360679 is the square root of 5, thus "route 5", which refers to a numbering system used by Reapers to identify routes within the city; 0+5 indicates the "zeroth" and "fifth" locations along that route)
- Taboo Noise runs amok across Shibuya, attacking both Players and Reapers.
- Sota and Nao are erased.
- The Producer and Composer both observe that the Red Skull pins have the effect of imprinting Kitaniji's mind upon their wearer.
Day 7 Edit
- Kitaniji overrides the mission distribution system and sends a specific mission to the Players: "Erase the Game Master at Pork City."
- More of Neku's death is revealed. The contents of the memory lead Neku to assume Minamimoto is his killer.
- Minamimoto uses a level i flare in his battle against Neku and Joshua to try to defeat the Composer.
- Joshua pretends to sacrifice himself to defend Neku from Minamimoto's final attack, but in fact flees to an alternate universe (incidentally, this universe is the one where the Another Day chapter takes place) to wait for Hanekoma to find and fetch him.
- Kitaniji again has to avoid admitting that he can't reincarnate Neku without the Composer, but does so by ruling Neku's partnership with Joshua as illegal. Kitaniji also forbids Neku from playing the Game a further time after his third, as Kitaniji's own timer will run out at the end of the following week.
Week 3 Edit
Day 1 Edit
- The third run of the Reapers' Game begins. The notable Players:
- Mission: "Reach 104."
- In a final attempt to erase the proxy, Kitaniji initiates a Game with only one Player, because an un-partnered Player cannot survive. The mission is impossible, since (as usual on Day 1) 104 is protected by a Wall which can only be opened once a Pact has been made.
- Beat betrays the Reapers to form a Pact with Neku, thus saving him. Beat also plans to attempt to defeat the Composer, in order to become Composer and bring back the human Rhyme.
- Hanekoma finds Minamimoto's Taboo Noise Refinery sigil in Udagawa, and seeing that it contains errors, corrects it, ensuring Minamimoto's rebirth. As this is strictly forbidden, he initially reports that he was attempting to deface it.
Day 2 Edit
- Mission: Defeat Konishi.
- Kitaniji issues the Emergency Call, suspending the Composer's authority, and requires reapers to wear Red Skull pins ("Outlet pins" or "O-pins") for the first time.
- Konishi erases Rhyme's noise form, and takes the Rhyme pin from Beat as his entry fee. She issues the 6-day "hide and seek" mission, and hides in Beat's shadow, hoping to panic them into a critical error of judgement.
- Konishi passes a fake copy of the Rhyme pin to Uzuki and Kariya for them to use in harrying the Players. She does not tell them that it's a fake.
- Neku and Beat spend the day searching for Konishi, and end up fighting 777. After sparing him, he gives his keypin to the two, and is subsequently erased (presumably, but not for sure) by Konishi. As Beat and Neku investigate the stage where he disappeared, they are forced to fight a bat noise.
- Uzuki, as instructed, attempts to play tag with Neku and Beat for the fake Rhyme pin. Beat, however, forgets that "Reaper Sport 4" refers to Tag; he believes it's Reaper Creeper, and tries to play it with several people in the RG even while Uzuki is running away. Uzuki, frustrated, directly confronts them to remind them what they are supposed to be playing, but as soon as Neku is told they're supposed to be playing Tag, he instantly tags Uzuki since she's right there. She directly attacks Neku and Beat, but loses.
- Makoto is inspired to return to his old self (the way he was in the first week) and begins preparations for the re-opening of Shadow Ramen.
- Koki Kariya makes an appearance and tells the Players to beat him in order to get the pin. This happens the next day, though.
Day 4 Edit
- The Red Skull pins are activated and Kitaniji's Imagination begins to impress itself on Shibuya.
- Kariya sets up a series of puzzles for Neku and Beat with the fake Rhyme pin as bait.
- After resolving the riddles Neku learns about Beat's death. They move to Towa Records in order to fight Kariya. They note they can't read people's minds.
- Kariya attacks Neku and Beat directly, then teams up with Uzuki for a second attempt. Only after they are both defeated do they realize the Rhyme pin is fake. As compensation, Kariya gives them his Level 4 Keypin.
- After the Players leave Kariya and Uzuki are possessed by their O-Pins.
Day 5 Edit
- Neku and Beat decide to use the new Keypin to look for Konishi in Udagawa.
- Minamimoto is revived as Taboo noise via the corrected Refinery Sigil.
- People and Reapers alike are now trapped in the cycle of repeating Kitaniji's thoughts.
- Kariya and Uzuki, now possessed by their Red Skull pins, attack Beat and Neku again.
Day 6 Edit
- Hanekoma finds the Composer playing Tin Pin Slammer in the alternate Shibuya of "Another Day" and leaves WildKat to go and get him, leaving behind the Keypin for Neku. During this time, he meets up with that world’s Neku and “tests” him by fighting against him in his Noise form, Panthera Cantus. The Neku of that world is also tested by the original Joshua, who had been waiting within the Room of Reckoning for Hanekoma to pick him up.
- Minamimoto attacks WildKat in search of the Composer, but fails to find Joshua or Hanekoma there, and instead just trashes the place.
- Neku and Beat decide to visit WildKat in search of Konishi and/or Hanekoma, who they believe to be the Composer; they find the café destroyed, but they also find Hanekoma’s keypin.
- Beat and Neku encounter Minamimoto in Cadoi City. They fight him, but are hardly able to touch him.
- Most people are hypnotized by the Red Skull Pins.
Day 7 Edit
- The imprinting via the Red Skull Pins is complete. Shibuya is 100% homogenized in thought, and the crowds are frozen.
- Minamimoto breaks through the Shibuya River Wall, but cannot proceed further, as a barrier leading to the Composer has been placed by Konishi that's too strong for him to break.
- Beat and Neku pass through the broken Shibuya River Wall, thus bringing Konishi (who is still in Beat's shadow) to Minamimoto. Minamimoto calls her out of the shadow to get her to remove the barrier, which she does, given the promise that if Minamimoto becomes Composer, he will make her Conductor. Konishi then attacks Beat and Neku, but is defeated (not before revealing that Rhyme’s memories of Beat were his entry fee, not hers).
- While Beat and Neku battle Konishi, Minamimoto passes through the barrier and battles Joshua, but is defeated (though, notably, not erased).
- Beat and Neku meet Shiki in the Shibuya River, and they enter the final chambers to find the Conductor. Shiki, devoid of her Player Pin, is imprinted by her Red Skull pin and with Kitaniji attacks Beat and Neku. Beat saves Neku from Shiki's final attack and Neku destroys her Red Skull pin.
- Neku continues to the Room of Reckoning alone, where he calls out to Hanekoma, who he believes to be the Composer. Kitaniji reveals himself and destroys one of Neku's Player Pins. Kitaniji then tries to imprint Neku without realizing Neku had a second Player Pin. As Beat and Shiki enter, Kitaniji attacks Neku with his first Noise form.
- Joshua, having been fetched by Hanekoma, arrives after the battle, and is absorbed into Kitaniji's Noise form, which Neku eventually defeats with a 3-way Pact.
- As his attempt to "fix" Shibuya has been prevented, Kitaniji has failed to complete his mission. His mission timer reaches zero, and though he is erased he claims to have no regrets.
- Joshua reveals himself as the Composer. He casually freezes Shiki and Beat, ending Beat's plan to defeat him. At this point, Joshua also returns Neku's full memory of his death, revealing that while he was caught in the crossfire between Joshua and Sho, he was not killed by Sho as the initial memories had led him to believe. Instead, Joshua shot him after chasing off Sho to recruit Neku as his proxy for the coming game against Kitaniji.
- Joshua challenges Neku to a final duel for the rank of Composer. Neku refuses to fire and is shot, partly due to his and Joshua's friendship built over the course of the previous week. As he loses consciousness, the last thing he sees is Hanekoma standing beside Joshua.
- The changes in people brought about by the game reconfigure Shibuya. Joshua abandons his plan to erase it, and Hanekoma believes it has now become the ideal parallel world.
- Rhyme, who had been erased on Day 4 of Week 1 (and whose Imagination had been stored in the pin bearing her noise form), is restored to life. The exact reason why is not known, as neither Neku nor Beat became Composer, and thus it was not in their power to do so. It must be assumed that Joshua chose to reincarnate her, as only the composer is known to have the power to do this.
- 1 Day post-game: Neku awakens in the Scramble Crossing, much the same as if he were beginning another game, and cries out in frustration. It is not clear whether he was outraged at having to play another game, or if he simply awoke in Shibuya and was surprised that Joshua had not destroyed it.
- 7 days post-game: Neku, Beat, Shiki (in her true form, rather than Eri's) and Rhyme meet in front of the Hachiko statue in the Realground.
- (Shown only after the end credits if all secret reports were collected) Hanekoma and Joshua watch the four former players from on top of the 104 building. Hanekoma notes that Joshua seems 'down' about something and tells Joshua that "It's their world; they get to decide what to do with it. We just--" before Joshua leaves. Hanekoma laughs a little and says "Some folks just don't take 'no' for an answer", spreads a pair of angelic wings, and follows after Joshua.
- Unknown time post-game: A girl wearing headphones similar to Neku's and carrying a stuffed animal like Mr. Mew is seen standing in the scramble crossing with 104 in the background with the words "New 7 Days" and the player's logo on the banner. This image is unlocked by collecting all of the Secret Reports from the Solo Remix version of the game and then completing week 3 day 7. The identity of the girl in the image is not known.